So I am joining the Love-a-thon event this year! Here is my introduction post for it. This is also for the long-time readers of this blog who know Kate, but not Meg.
An Introduction to You and Your Blog
1. What’s your name? Where in the world are you blogging from?
Hello, I’m Meg. I am 1/2 of Spills and Spoils. Actually, more like 1/6235467523674 since I have only joined this blog recently.
I grew up in the Philippines but I now live in the American South.
2. Tell us your history with reading. Were you always a reader? Were you a reluctant reader? Was there a book that convinced you to become a reader?
I’ve been reading for as long as I remember. In fact, I think I got bad eyesight from reading too much, without even caring about the lighting. I had to start wearing eyeglasses when I was around eleven.
I don’t think there was a particular book that influenced me to become a reader. I do remember my mother reading to us bedtime stories. 😀
3. How did you get involved in the online book community?
It’s actually Kate who got me into joining Goodreads. She started a private blog just to keep tracks of books she read. She recently approached me with the suggestion of joining her on this blog, so, I’m pretty new still.
4. How did you choose your primary platform (blog, Instagram, YouTube, etc)? How did you come up with your blog name?
Well, I most certainly am not comfortable BookTubing… *nervous laugh* I remember I started a YouTube account only for posting song covers, but that did not go so well. Writing is the best option for me.
And this is why it’s named as such according to Kate: “spills” because it’s spilling our thoughts as we write about what we’re reviewing, and “spoils” because when it comes to books, we overindulge. 😀
5. What’s your favorite thing about the online book community?
From what I’ve seen, so far, readers don’t judge each other based on their book preferences. I’ve seen some pretty harsh book reviews, but people never bash each other. (I hope I’m correct with this assumption, since I’m still pretty new…)
6. What sort of posts can readers expect from you?
Well, as it says on the About page, this is a book and movie review blog. But I, Meg, will only write about books. I’m not very creative when it comes to writing reviews but I do tend to spill my feels all over the place.
7. What book genres do you talk about most?
I’ve only got a couple of posts on here so far and they are all in the fantasy genre. I read other genres too, but Kate is the explorer.
1. Favorite food? Beverage?
Beverage: Root beer, pink lemonade
2. Favorite color?
Green, blue, purple, and I’m really starting to like soft pink, haha.
3. Favorite things to do apart from reading?
Most definitely: learning languages. I am a polyglot as well as a linguist. I also like to draw and sing.
4. Favorite TV shows?
I don’t really watch TV, but I did enjoy watching these series: Castle, Criminal Minds, Drop Dead Diva, Pushing Daisies
5. Favorite movies?
The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars. I like a lot of rom-com and Disney.
6. Favorite musical artists?
As of right now, I love listening to Jesse & Joy.
7. Favorite places to shop?
Sephora, Books-A-Million, Michael’s.
1. Favorite childhood books?
The Ramona Quimby books, The Babysitters Club, of course, Harry Potter.
2. Favorite books/series read in the last five years?
– The Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer Nielsen
– Royal Circle series ( Gilt, Tarnish, Brazen) by Katherine Longshore
– Legend trilogy by Marie Lu
– Lethal Dispatch by Max Tomlinson
– The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien (I’m really proud of myself for this accomplishment)
3. Favorite genres?
Fantasy, you already know that. I also like looking at historical fiction (I’m a little picky about time periods though), cookbooks, some children’s books, and science fiction.
4. Underrated book, series or author you love?
I like Max Tomlinson. His book “Lethal Dispatch” blew me away.
5. A book you want to see made into a film or tv show?
I think I’d like The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo to be made into a movie, so far.
6. Book boyfriend/girlfriend? Book BFF? Book family?
Book boyfriend: Leo Valdez from the Heroes of Olympus Series.
Book BFF: Luna Lovegood!
Book family: Definitely Katarina Bishop’s family in the “Heist Society” novels!
7. Books you want to read in 2017?
My to-read list is ever-growing, but I think:
– Some Rainbow Rowell since I haven’t read any books yet
– “Bloodline” and The Firebird series by Claudia Gray
– Divergent series by Veronica Roth
– Finish the Lorien Legacies (I am stuck in the penultimate book, I think!)
– The Lord of the Rings (been my goal for… lots of years now.)